Introduction to RV LED Lighting
Embarking on road trips in your recreational vehicle (RV) is an adventure like no other. It is a journey that you will never forget and even the smallest details can make a difference. However, one often overlooked aspect that could significantly heighten your experience is the quality of your RV lighting. Having the proper lighting for your RV can not only improve the overall aesthetic appeal but also play a crucial role in ensuring safety and comfort.
This is where LED RV lightinging come into play. Have you ever walked into someone’s RV and the interior is nice and brings or have a warm feeling to it? LED RV lighting is to thank for this. LEDs not only provide high-quality illumination but also promise energy efficiency, longevity, and durability, making them ideally suited for the unique requirements of an RV.
In this blog, we will cover everything there is to know about LED RV lighting. To start, we will make sure you understand what LED lighting is and the unique features it brings to your RV. If you are wondering if you should invest in LED RV lighting for your RV, we will provide some information on why it is worth the investment. Next, we will provide you with some key features to look for when you choose an LED lighting fixture and a step-by-step guide for installation. Finally, we will cover all kinds of tips for the safety and maintenance of your LED fixtures for your RV.
What is LED RV Lighting and Its Unique Features?
To truly get a grasp of LED lighting and have a full appreciation for it, it is important to understand what LED lighting actually is. The term LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, a type of solid-state lighting that uses semiconductors to convert electricity into light. Don’t be fooled by their often small sizes, these LED lights have been proven to be up to 90% more effective than the average lightbulb you’d find in your RV. They are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material. This unique design makes them more durable, reliable, and longer-lasting.
The Unique Features of LED Lights
Since their rise in popularity, LED lighting is known for several unique features that set them apart from other lights on the market. As previously mentioned, LED lights last longer than your traditional bulb, with the most common LED light having up to 50,000 hours of life in it, saving you time and money in the long run. comparing this to other bulbs, which last anywhere from 2,000 to 20,000 hours, it is clear that you will get significantly longer-lasting light in your coach with LED lighting/
Another unique feature of these LED lights is the quality of the light that they are able to produce. These lights are able to create a very clean and bring light to any area they are placed in. On top of this, you are able to change the color/tint that your LED light gives off. some light a more orange/yellow LED light to give off a warm, cozy feeling from your RV, while others would rather have a white/blue-looking light to give off a colder feeling.
Finally, LED lights are extremely energy efficient for you and your RV. Replacing the lighting in your motorhome with LED has the potential to help you save a lot of energy. The switch to LED lighting can save you as much as 90% on your overall energy spending. Keep in mind that the final percentage will depend on what type of light you are replacing and the type of LED you decide to put in, so make sure to do some research on the bulbs you have and the ones you want.
Why Choose LED Lighting for Your RV
Before you leave for your next RV journey, it is important to consider how important lighting within your RV is. It plays a crucial role in enhancing your overall experience by providing visibility and setting the ambiance. With all the different choices for lightbulbs on the market, it can be a bit confusing to decide on the right lights. However, we are here to explain why LED lighting is the perfect addition to your motorhome.
Power Conservation and Durability
As we previously touched on, LED lighting is extremely energy-efficient. They use significantly less power compared to traditional bulbs, in fact, there can be up to anywhere from 60% to a 90% difference between your current bulbs and a switch to LED lighting. This difference will be shown when reviewing the amount of money you spent on your energy bill with your previous blubs and comparing it to your energy bill after you have installed LED lighting in your RV.
Apart from energy efficiency, LED lights are highly durable. With a lifespan of anywhere from 40,000 – 50,000 hours, they last much longer than conventional lighting options, which can have a lifespan anywhere from as low as 2,000 hours to as high as 20,000 hours. With this significant increase in lifespan, you can save time and money by not having to buy and replace your bulbs as often.
Enhancing the RV Experience with Aesthetics
Although LED lighting can provide financial advantages, it also has a significant role in providing a welcoming and comfortable space within your RV. With different colours and brightness levels you can choose from LED light, you can set the perfect style or mood for your RV. An orange/yellow colour will give off a warm, cosy feeling, perfect for a quiet night. With many different colours and brightness available, you can set your ideal tone for your RV.
To add to this, you have the option to get a little creative with the placement of your bulbs. With LED lights being small in size, they can fit in various spots within your RV that traditional bulbs couldn’t, such as under kitchen cabinets and counters, or around your windows.
Choosing the Right LED Lighting Fixtures for Your RV
Now that you have a better understanding of what LED lighting is and the benefits it brings to you and your RV, you might be considering making the switch from traditional lighting to LED lighting. Before you do that, it is important to make sure you get the right bulbs that meet your needs and wishes. In order to make this task as stress-free as possible, here are a few different factors you should look for when searching for the right LED light bulbs for your RV
Factors to Consider When Choosing LED Fixtures
- size: The size of the LED fixture is crucial, as your LED lights should fit perfectly into the area you have chosen for them. Having these lights be oversized or undersized for the area could affect the lighting and energy consumption, but it won’t look odd at first glance.
- Brightness: Although these LED lights can be small in size, they are very powerful when it comes to brightness. Overly bright lights can cause glare, making it uncomfortable for your eyes. On the other hand, lights that are too dim might not provide the necessary light to do work or other tasks within your RV.
- colour: The colour of the LED lights also matters. There are a lot of options for colour on LED lights, and this can often catch shoppers off guard. You can choose between warm white, cool white, and daylight depending on the mood you want to create. Warm white creates a cosy, homely atmosphere, while cool white is brighter and more energising.
- Power Requirements: LED lights are known for their energy efficiency, so you can get plenty of light without using a lot of power.
- Space: When Lighting up your RV, it can be significantly different from your traditional home. If you are looking to light up the whole RV, a general LED fixture would do that trick. However, there are directional LED lights that will shine a majority of the light in one specific direction.
Put all these factors together, and you will have everying you need to ensure you have the best RV lighting.
Installing LED Lighting in Your RV
Now that you have decided on which LED lights are right for your RV, it is time to install the new bulbs. Don’t stress too much yet, as installing LED light bulbs is an easy task if done correctly. To make this job easier, we have put together a step-by-step guide to complete installation quickly and easily.
Step-by-Step Guide on Installing LED Lights
First things first, you need to gather all the necessary tools for the job. This usually includes a
- wire cutters
- a drill (if necessary)
Once you have your toolkit ready, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power to your RV. This will ensure that no electrical-related accidents occur.
- Using your screwdriver, remove the existing light fixture carefully.
- Disconnect and remove your current bulb and connect the new LED light to the existing wires.
- Using screws or fasteners that come with the LED lights, secure the LED fixture in place.
- Repeat this same process for every light you are replacing.
- Once you have completed these steps for every fixture, sit back, relax, and enjoy the new light!
Safety Precautions During Installation
Above anything else, safety is the most important factor when replacing your lights with LEDs. the key rule: turn the power off before you start. If you don’t do this crucial step, you are putting yourself at a severe risk of an accidental electrical shock. On top of this, make sure to use the proper tools when installing to add an extra layer of protection to the lights and yourself.
Tips for Optimising LED Light Placement
Of course, you are free to place these LED lights wherever you desire. However, we wanted to give you some extra tips to take your placement to the next level or give you ideas if you don’t have some already.
- If you are placing LED lights in your living room or bedroom, we recommend a warmer light for these areas. This warm effect will give these spaces a cosy, relaxing feeling. for areas such as a kitchen, study area, or bathroom, the cooler light would fit best.
- For areas where you might want to adjust the lighting intensity, consider adding dimmers to your LED lights.
- Placement is key. add light to certain areas of your RV that you want to stand out from the rest.
- of course, don’t forget about the outside of your RV. This is a great way to make the outside of your RV shine in the evening.
Conclusion: Replace Your lights with LED light bulbs
As we wrapped up this journey through LED lighting, there was a lot to break down. Throughout this blog, we have covered what LED lighting is and the key features and benefits of LED lighting. We also covered what to look for in LED lighting, a step-by-step installation guide and some tips and tricks for making the lighting in your RV look top-notch using LED lights.
You might be wondering if LED lights for your RV are worth the investment and if they are necessary. Truth is, any type of light will do the job of giving your RV light. you can go pick up a pack of lightbulbs at just about any hardware store, but why stop there? the days of permanently dimmed lights are in the past. LED lights for your RV can provide a level of brightness and comfort that traditional light bulbs aren’t able to match.
Between the brightness, colours, lifespan, and energy saved, it has become obvious that LED lights have become the future of lighting in RV’s. So what are you waiting for? purchase your LED lights for your RV today!